On bleeding meat dry...


Finns seem to think it's a good idea to bleed meat dry. What do I mean by this? Well, picture some ground beef or a steak. It's all red and you just go "Wow, that's a nice looking steak. Can't wait!". So you cook it up or grill it medium rare. The inside is all nice, pink and dripping with dead cow love. Well, you can wait until hell freezes over (in Finland this happens every year somewhere around October) for such a piece of meat to exist here. Don't ask me how but Finnish beef has almost zero juice in it. It's like they took a dehydrator and sucked all the life and flavor out of the damn thing. After cooking it you might as well use it to pound nails into the wall or sand a wood floor. Dry doesn't begin to describe the favor or texture of the fucking thing. Do they use a vacuum or something? Who thought this was a good idea? Where do they send the stuff after they siphoned it out? I bet they make candies and feed them to retarded children (that's right! I said it).

A Finn has given me the following explanation on why they do it: because blood in meat goes bad first. This may be true, but I don't know. After all I am not a butcher. What I do know is that they could leave some of it in the damn ground beef mix for some sort of taste! Is it too much to ask? Oh no, that would be wrong! That would make it taste too much like fucking meat instead of bland formless shit. I found a sausage in the supermarket the other day that claimed to have have 11% meat in it. What the hell!!! What is the rest? Soy filler? Again, how is this a good idea?!!!!

I've been told I anger issues. Still, I miss real food. :(     

I Googled it and it seems that you can buy bottles of frozen blood in the supermarket. You learn something new every day. Can't wait to pick some of that up. Sigh.... 


Comments

Loren said…
So you can just buy the frozen blood and reconstitute it yourself. Or go another step if that stuff is just 11% meat and just buy textured soy protein and add the blood to that, or go another step and become a vegetarian. One thing I would miss if I left Sweden is the diverse food available in supermarkets here for reasonable prices (seriously!(I've lived in some strange places though)).

And yet it's hard to find leipƤjuusto here so close to Finland! At least you have that. The greatest cheese ever made!
Anonymous said…
American companies put all kinds of fillers in meat to make it more "juicy." Steak for instance, is often injected with water. But the water is the least of your worries. Remember PINK SLIME?

- Rich

Popular Posts