How did I get here?

I've recently been asked a few times, "How did you end up here in Joensuu?" Well, let me share with you that it's not your typical story.

I arrived in this town a significant 20 years ago (time sure flies when you're having a good time, doesn't it?). It all began when I was searching for a graduate school in my home country. The issue was that everything I came across back there had a price tag that could make you gasp. That's when I had this idea to explore Finland on a whim. And, surprisingly, I discovered a Master's program in a field related to my interests, all taught in English. The icing on the cake? It didn't cost a dime. Yes, you heard me right – education in Finland is practically free if you can secure a spot. So, after pondering it for a couple of days, I made the bold decision to quit my job and relocate to Finland in 2004.

After completing my Master's degree, I embarked on a European tour. Poland, Italy, Ireland – I was bouncing around like a pinball. However, after seven years of this nomadic lifestyle and numerous false starts, it dawned on me that I needed to get my act together. I applied to a school in Germany, but things got a bit complicated when it came to funding (you can't survive on thin air, after all). That's when Joensuu entered the picture with a generous funding offer, and I eagerly accepted it in March 2011. I officially enrolled in the Joensuu program and moved here in January of the following year.

Now, don't get me wrong, there are still some idiosyncrasies about Finnish life that can be a bit bothersome (the eerie silence, the seemingly endless checkout lines, and the fact that everyone claims to "only speak a little" English while sounding like they're auditioning for a Shakespearean play). But you know what? It's all part of the adventure, and I've learned to adapt.

On the bright side, there are aspects of Joensuu that I genuinely cherish: the almost complete absence of crime , the tranquil atmosphere, the blanket of fluffy snow in winter covering everything, the refreshing chill in the morning when I hop on my bike and it's a crisp -16 degrees, and of course, the cherished sauna. All in all, I wouldn't trade my life here for anything else.

So, there you have it – that's the story of how I ended up here in a nutshell.

Comments

Popular Posts